Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Trojan Horse

To help me along this weight loss journey, I am reading a book called "Devotions for Nibblers" by Kristen Johnson Ingram which I was able to purchase through Crossings Book Club, http://www.crossings.com

This weight loss thing is something I can not do alone, I have tried for years! I have to have help, and turning it over to God is something that I know will work, it's just going to be a long journey, because it will be the right way, the healthy way...not starving to lose 10 pounds only to gain them back when I start eating again.

Yesterday's devotion was titled "Trojan Horse" and the bible verse was from Proverbs, chapet 19 and verse 6.....Many seek the favor of the generous, and everyone is a friend to a giver of gifts.

Devotional: The ancient Greeks rolled a huge horse up to the gates of Troy as a symbol of defeat. You've beaten us, the gesture said, and we're offering you this wonderful horse to show we honor your gods. Then the Greeks hit. When the Trojans brought the gift inside the city walls, they discovered too late that it was full of Greek warriors. The City was destroyed.
Every day I get a different offer i nthe mail: free coffee beans, a free vacation. But jus about every one of these "gifts" is a Trojan Horse. In fine print, I discover that I have to keep ordering coffee, or promise to drive to a remot location (at my own expense), then spend much of the "vacation" listening with a crowd of other travelers to time-share pitches.
Television ads keep offering me the gift of easy weight loss: I don;t have to exercise and can eat all my favorite foods while the pounds melt away. And inside this enticing Trojan Horse are expensive (and usually worthless) products or dangerous herbs and drugs that could shoot my blood pressure sky high. There ain't no free horse.

For Futher Reflections:
1. Are you looking for an easy solution to your overeating problems? Aren't we all? Don't we lead such busy lives that we can't take the time to exercise of fix a healthy meal, we eat on the run between ball games, dance recitial and a million other tasks that have to be done. But where is that getting us? There are no easy solutions, everything in life worth having requires work and effort on my part, so why would weight loss be any different.
2. Do you find yourself being gullible about free offers? Yes, I have in the past, and I have gotten burned on some many of those book clubs, that I feel I no longer believe them. Although I still find myself checking out things that say they are free only to find a huge shipping charge or some other requirement that I am not willing to committ to.
3. Are you willing to stop nibbling the harder way? YES! I have committed myself to this wieght loss, I have turned over the this I can not control to God, and I am depending on Him each and every day to get me through to the next day and to accomplish the small victories needed to get me to the finish line!

Prayer:
Dear Lord, You've shown me that the only free gift is Your grace. Keep me alert to falsehood. Amen.

I am sharing my devotional, and my answers with you to help keep me on track, holding myself accountable for everything I do, and in the process I hope that I am able to encourage just one person on their own personal weight loss journey!

No comments: