Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Is "Diet" Dirty Word?

Some trust in chariots and some trust in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. -Psalm 20:7

You might read the verse above: Some trust in diets, some trust in calorie counting, but I trust in God's plan.
Many experts say that diets empower food, not people, because they're based on deprivation. And when we deprive ourselves of food we want, desperation takes over in time. We blow it. This is why the majority of books on wieght control spend the first chapter declaring, "This is not a diet book!" (even is they use diet in the title).
To those who have failed with diets repeatedly, Gwen Shamblin writes in The Weigh Down Diet, "God has never asked anyone to eat food off a list, to count fat exchanges, or to take an appetite suppressant. You have just been applying the wrong medicine to this condition."
This isn't to say that all diets or weight-loss programs are bad. God can and does work in conjunction with these. What matters is that He is central to our plan. For the purpose of this, let's redefine the word "diet" to mean:
- a Decision to change the way i eat and the way i approach food
- an Invitation to experience God's power and guidance
- an Educated plan for long-term health and happiness
- a Trust that God will never give up on me or love me less - no matter what.

Food for Thought: " Diet " doesn't have to mean deprivation.

A Prayer for Power:
Dear God, I admit that I have come to both love and hate the word diet. On the one hand, it represents hope for change. On the other hand, it's like a sign flashing "Failure ahead!" I don't want to simply embark on another faulty plan, Lord. I want to embark on a journey with You that is led by You and depends on Your power. I can do nothing on my own! And I don;t want to just punish and deprive myself. You and i both know where that leads: to rebellion and failure. Show me the right path that will enable me to change. Show me, as only You, who know me os intimately, can, what works for me, what is healthy for me. I want to think of this venture in positive terms, Lord - not that i am siging up to be miserable or in want. I want to learn to redirect my thinking, to feed my body waht it truly needs when it needs it. And to feed my sould wit the Bread of Life - You! Today I place my suture, my failures, my setbacks, all of my hopes and plans into Your hands. There alone will I find meaning and true success in my life. Amen.

As the tears stream down my face...all I can think is this is exactly how I have felt for a long time. I don't want to fail, I want to do this the right way. This is my prayer, my hope and my dreams....to lose the wieght in a healthy, long-term way with the help of God.
Thank you!!!

No comments: