Monday, June 4, 2007

The Wind's Song

Bible Verse: In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.
-Genesis 1: 1-2

Devotional:
I grew up in am Arizona mining town bordered on the east by Apache Leap, a rnge of pink granite pinnacles that lifted into the sky like a rosy crown. And in the wintertime, those mountains sang. Cold air snaked between those pink pinnacles, and when it emerged, the wind sang like a pipe organ.
I've been satisfying my mouth and stomach recently, but remembering that mountain music, I realize the rest of my senses are hungry. This evening, instead of sinking in front of the television with a plate full of cookies, I think I'll feast my eyes and ears and heart. I'll sit on the porch and listen for the song God gives the wind as it dances through the tall fir trees behind my house.

For Further Reflection:
Today, find some beauty in the world around you, and take time to relish that instead of too much food.

Prayer:
O God, You have made creation beautiful. Teach me how to see, hear, and taste it, and to appreciate it's fragance. Amen.

No comments: